Monday, May 14, 2012

Don't Move

Sleep is a very good thing. As an epileptic who tends to have seizures when I'm overly tired it's important that I get my full night's rest, but I'm not going to talk about my sleeping habits and how bad they maybe. It so happens that there are two seizures I can remember quite clearly. These two are without a doubt the worst I've ever had. Perhaps others I had were worse, but at least I wasn't conscious and aware of what was going on. There is nothing worse than when you know you are having a seizure and being powerless to do anything about it.
Both of these seizure happened about the time I get up on the weekends. One happened during high school and one during my college days at Davis Community College. A college I don't recommend. It was during that period of sleep when you're almost awake, but not quite. Maybe twenty or thirty minutes from forcing yourself out of bed. It was during this time I was shoved into the awake and alert mode.
I tend to sleep on my side, but I shift a lot in my sleep. It's not unusual for me to wake two or three times a night to fix my covers. It was when I decided to shift that it became apparent something was wrong. I went to shift onto my back and just moving sent my body flailing out of control. I couldn't stop. My arms were swinging back and forth banging the mattress and my legs were flailing up and down and I couldn't stop. I found myself unable to say anything. After a minute or two it stopped but my limbs still had a really tense feeling. Stupidly I decided to try and stretch things out and it sent everything flailing again including my head this time slamming back and forth on the pillow.
This time when I stopped I forced myself to lay extremely still as if my life depended on it. I pushed my body as hard as I could into the mattress to prevent myself from moving and starting anymore flailing. A person can only keep this up so long and when you are pushing your body into a mattress as hard as I was the body will cramp. So I eventually had to move and every time I moved my body would flail from 30 seconds to a minute. I even had to slow my breathing so I didn't set it off again.
I felt like a prisoner in my own body. I really had to go to the bathroom but was unable to get up. I was hungry and wanted to get out of bed but I couldn't. This lasted a good ten minutes. The most agonizing ten minutes of my life. I don't believe I said anything the first time because I was a dumb teenager who thought that seizures didn't happen that way for me. When it happened again I did say something. Although it was strange in my particular case I was told it was a seizure.  Thinking back on those two seizure if I could trade those experiences for rolling seizures or even a grandmal I would do it in a heart beat. I don't remember those and I get to sleep the rest of the day. But those I usually only sleep an extra ten or fifteen minutes and I remember every second. I wouldn't wish those on anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment