Monday, April 30, 2012

School Nurse

As someone who hadn't found the right mix of meds yet and was often toxic. It probably comes as no surprise that I often found myself in the nurses office at school. The nurse and I were on a friendly basis. If I came in and someone else was there I knew to take a seat and she would get to me.
There were days in school that although I may have been determined to get through the day as normal as possible at times it just wasn't possible. One example is a time I went straight to the nurse's office after arriving at school. My mom had to walk me in because I was incapable of walking straight. When walking I looked like someone who had to much to drink. Our hopes were that the meds would ware off a little and allow me to function normally in school. I missed one class and half the class after that waiting for my world to return to it's normal spinning rather than a spin that took my legs on the trip to.
I would also go to the nurse's office if I felt my eyes were strange. I went there in fear of a potential seizure coming through and the last thing I wanted was for the other students to see a seizure. The last thing I was looking for was the usual questions. Like what does it feel like to have seizure? Asking me all about things leading up to the moment in the day when usually the seizure wipes my memory and I find myself unable to answer. Leaving both me and the people asking extremely frustrated.
I did have one seizure in a class but it wasn't my typical seizure. According to what I know from people informing me I started cursing and swearing at my German teacher. Talking about what a f@#*$% waste of time the language was and etc... Luckily the teacher knew from previous classes that this was not typical behavior for me and sent me to the nurses office. I was picked up and slept the rest of the day.
I must admit there had to be times that nurse thought I was just trying to get of class, but as tempted as that idea sounds. I went there because I was usually getting to dizzy to walk or afraid something was about to happen. I was of the mind to have a seizure in a nurse's office instead of a classroom of twenty or so people.
I'm very grateful that she put up with me and didn't point out that sometimes I was probably freaking out over nothing. She was patient and for that I'm grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment