Friday, December 16, 2011

Crazy Doctor Visit

Before I go into the doctor's visit there is something that needs to be mentioned about my epilepsy before I continue. The seizure I told you about previously was not my first seizure. I don't feel the need to write about my first seizure in detail because I was a toddler and remember nothing. What I do know is that the medication they put me on phenobarbital seriously put me behind in the learning area of things. 
So on with the story. So first of all my mom took care of all the scheduling of doctor's appointments and all that. One because I was like thirteen and two I didn't want to be involved. The less I thought about it the better. So I was more than a little annoyed when I discovered my friend Alice had already spread the word to everyone I knew in school of what happened. The plan had been to pretend like nothing happened, but apparently seeing me have the seizure really freaked her out. So I guess telling everyone was her way of dealing with what she witnessed.
I don't remember when the doctor's visit was scheduled, but I do remember what I expected when going to the neurologist for the first time. I expected the usual doctor's office with magazines that are too old to really enjoy reading. A couple of tv's and even maybe a fishtank in the waiting room. I expected usual doctor check up procedures once I got into a room. You know check your blood pressure and all that. What I didn't expect was the office my mom took me to.
To summarize I would say when I saw the waiting room I felt ten years too old to be there. The doctor I was going to see, which his name has been thoroughly forgotten, will be referred to as Dr. Kooky.   I was just grateful their were seats big enough for me to sit in. Of course everything was brightly colored and all the toys were aimed at kids about two. The only magazines I could find were parenting magazines. That waiting room felt like hell to me. Even my mom seemed uncomfortable. I was very disinterested in this whole thing so I pretended to pay attention when my mom was filling out the paper work. At that age I didn't know half of my info. Heck I still forget alot of it and have to look stuff up.
Thankfully we didn't wait to long. I for one was relieved to see the doctor patient rooms were normal. By normal I mean a sterile white color. Sure there were a few posters hanging clearly aimed at small kids, but this was greatly down scaled and it made me feel like I actually might be thirteen. Unfortunately the staff must have felt I was feeling far to okay with the situation and decided to make me feel like I was insane. The nurse did the normal blood pressure thing and other things nurses do. That by the way I admire them for because there is no way I could handle that job. What through me off is when they measured my head.
The only thing I could think at that moment was "Yes I have head. Does it matter what size it is? I can assure you there is a brain firmly lodged in the skull." I did ask why they measured my head, but I don't remember getting a clear answer.
When the doctor came in and did the doctor thing. I asked him and he said measuring the head was important because if it shrank it could be cause for alarm. Not those words. He said it in much more doctory termonology. I must say if my head shrunk I'd be concerned. No need to measure I'd tell you.  So with that explanation I decided my doctor was crazy and I just had to bear with it.
He made it clear that because this was technically my second seizure I was an epileptic. That I needed medication to keep it under control. My mother stressed the importance of not using the medicine I was on as a toddler. So it was decided I would take Tegritol. 
I turned my brain off (wasn't paying attention) for most of the actual appointment. I figured that was what my mom was for. She was smarter than me and she could actually remember the medical stuff that happened in the past. So I just attended because they needed me there.
Until next time have a beautiful god filled day.

No comments:

Post a Comment